State Files Appeal With Ohio Supreme Court Over $300 Pandemic Unemployment Checks
It's the latest step in the fight over the federal money issued as extra help during the pandemic.
The state has filed an appeal with the Ohio Supreme Court in the case over its decision to end the extra $300 a week in additional unemployment benefits in late June.
Attorney General Dave Yost (R-Ohio) is asking the Ohio Supreme Courtto reverse a decision from the 10th District Court of Appeals, which ruled a Franklin County judge must give the case further review.
The state argues that Gov. Mike DeWine (R-Ohio) had the legal right to stop accepting the federal funds for the program, which he said was important to help unemployed Ohioans during the pandemic last year.
But in ending those checks, DeWine said the COVID-19 vaccine and other protective measures make it safe for people to return to work.
The 10th District held that Gov. DeWine *must* accept supplemental unemployment benefits under the CARES Act—funds that are optional under the terms of the Act— Attorney General Dave Yost (@Yost4Ohio) August 26, 2021
The decision was contrary to law—and businesses cannot find employeees. Today, we appealed to the Ohio Supreme Court
In a Twitter post announcing the filing, Yost wrote "The decision was contrary to law and businesses cannot find employees. Today, we appealed to the Ohio Supreme Court."
A group, led by former attorney general Marc Dann, is fighting to bring back the assistance. He says some 200,000 Ohioans could potentially benefit and that many desperately need the money.
The appeals court says the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas did not address two factors in the case; "unjustifiable harm to third parties or any public interest served by the injunction.